Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Paper Towels SUCK!

Okay, they don't really SUCK. They are amazingly handy, great for cleaning glass and an excellent option for napkins.

BUT... they are wasteful and expensive. With over 90% of US households taking advantage of the convenience of paper towels we produce over 3,000 tons of waste each day. That is a shocking statistic. One that doesn't sit well with the ever evolving environmentalist that I've become. So, I gave them up about a month and a half ago. And it has been a painful experience to say the least.



























I've got a stash of cleaning rags that I wash when dirty.  Just by using the rags to clean for this last month and a half, I have saved roughly $25. Not a tremendous amount, but over the course of a year I will save over $200.

Linen is an excellent option for cleaning glass, as it's finished product is lint free. They also make lint free rags that you can purchase from big box stores in your area.



























My next goal is to make some napkins to use and re-use. I love these napkins at Anthropologie... but there is no way I'm paying $32 when my fabric stash is overflowing.



























Well, I'm off to start some sewing. Saving the world, one napkin at a time!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I need to make or buy some napkins before we finish our package of paper towels. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that this inspired you. The statistics are kind of sickening... I'm trying to make a difference in our household and share our journey along the way. Let me know how it goes for you guys, and be sure to spread the word :D

    ReplyDelete